Monday, September 27, 2010

Stand Your Ground

Just recently I had a chance to enjoy some rest and relaxation with my husband on a cruise to the Bahamas. Many folk who have cruised before know about the mounds and mounds of food available while cruising. We particularly love to dine in the dining hall for dinner and can't wait until the Captain's night in hopes of shrimp, scallops and even lobster. Do you see two things on the menu that you want to try? Knock yourself out and order until your heart is content and all at no additional charge. Well many of us know unlimited food options are often a sign of pressure. Should I have this or should I stick with that. We say well it's tempura but it's not deep fried so I should be okay. Well should we really be thinking this way. Does having our food prepared for us without any say so give us a reason to go off plan? We often say well hey "I'm on vacation".

While on vacation I had to pleasure of dining with several other cruisers each night for dinner. The one that stood out to me the most was named Charlotte (I think). She showed up the first night with a list of demands, do's, don'ts and will not's. We were looking at her like "really". As the trip progressed and I began to prod, I found out that she was vegan. According to dictonary.com a vegan is: a strict vegetarian who consumes no animal food or dairy products; also : one who abstains from using animal products (as leather). So while I can attest to the fact that she doesn't eat any meat or dairy I'm not sure about her abstinence of animal products such as leather.

If the food options had milk, cream, eggs, dairy, pasta, meat and even sugar, she was not having it. She worked each night with the head waiter to ensure that there would be something suitable for her the next night. I'm sure you are wondering what exactly was she eating. There were nights when she would have lentils or steamed vegetables, salads topped with olive oil and vinegar or some Indian dish that were vegan tolerant. For desert she would have a fruit plate. We listened and watched in amazement each night as she stood her ground.

After witnessing this I thought about how the YOU Gals plan was far less stringent but at a moments notice with something like vacation, birthday's or other celebrations we look to go off plan. Just like being a vegan the YOU Gals plan is one that should be considered a lifestyle. It should consist of lean meats and proteins, fruits, vegetables, whole wheat and grains.

My tasks to you is to take on the approach of a vegan and make healthy living a lifestyle one that you don't turn on or off based on the occasion or time of year but one that you live with daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment