Monday, August 30, 2010

Meal Automation

Early on YOU Gals talked about automating your meals and how automation was key to successful weight loss and maintenance. Well anyone who knows me knows that I like to start off making sure that we are all on the same page so I want to start by first defining automation:

au·to·ma·tion

noun\
Definition of AUTOMATION
1
: the technique of making an apparatus, a process, or a system operate automatically
2
: the state of being operated automatically

In the book YOU: One a Diet I so love this statement as I can see myself. It suggests that you Pick, Stick and Automate then it goes onto say:

"Yeah, sure, variety may be the spice of life, but it can also be the death of dieting. When you sit down at diner and are presented with a menu that's the size of a phone book, it's easy to give in. One way to get away from fat bombs is to eliminate choices for at least one meal a day. Pick the one meal you rush through most and automate it. For most people, it's lunch. So find a healthy lunch you like - salad with grilled chicken and olive oil or turkey on whole grain bread - and have it for lunch every day. Every day. Yes, every day."

That' so my friend, mentor and coach Dr. Roizen speaking as I can hear the frankness in his message. I am one of those folk who like variety but I will say that variety has gotten me in trouble in a few ways, one being failure to plan ahead. The idea of automating will allow me to know what I'm eating at all times and will allow me to have the food available and on hand and eliminate the guess work. It would also eliminate the need for me to want to skip meals.

I often feel that I'm in a rush and I'm moving really fast trying to cover a lot of ground and recently I decided that instead of grabbing something bad that I would just not eat anything at all. Well I stand here today saying that one is no better than the other and this is why meal automation is important. Automating meals takes the guess work out of eating and eliminates feelings of angst, uncertainty, hunger and even failure. Meal automation is just like having a map it guides you through this journey and like GPS it's designed to not steer you wrong. If you are thinking that automation isn't for me because I like variety I suggest you pick up to three different items that are easy or similar that can help you maintain the plan. Here are some examples of my automated meals:

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
Egg white Omelet
Piece of fruit

Lunch:
Turkey Sandwich with mustard on whole wheat bread with a fruit cup
Salad with deli turkey and a fruit cup
Cup of chili

Dinners aren't meals that I don't wish to automate but my options are pretty consistent as they are lean meats like fish, chicken and turkey, veggies, whole grain and fruits. So as stated in the book, find that meal that you would consider on the go, on the run or not as important and automate it.

Remember planning is key, automating makes it easy and keeping it simple sets you up for success, so Pick, Stick & Automate!

No comments:

Post a Comment