Friday, April 22, 2011

Plan on Plans Failing!


What a week! This past week was Spring Break and I had some terrific plans in store. I was flying up to NY with one of my daughter’s to drop her off with my family for the week while I got in some great family fun and also got in some work time in the NY office. Since my cousin has also been turned onto this healthy lifestyle we were so excited to be hitting the gym together and sharing in some fun 10,000 steps and beyond challenges (she’s competitive – lol!) I made sure I packed gym clothes, sneakers and my “A” game. My cousin and I had laid out our workout schedule and planned out the meals we would be eating. Just because I was on vacation and that doesn't mean I was on vacation from health and wellness.

Saturday morning Yvalisse and I rose and anxiously got our bags together and headed to the airport. We arrived at the airport at 1pm for our 3p flight only to be told each hour that our flight was delayed due to the terrible storms that ravaged the East Coast. My daughter grew anxious and disappointed. Finally by 8p we were told our flight was canceled and the next flight would be on Monday. No worries, I tried explaining to my daughter that sometimes life throws us curve balls and we just have to deal with them the best we could. Deep down I was feeling anxious because I wasted a whole day and did not get in my 10,000 steps – I was feeling defeated.

Sunday we had a very special religious event which meant I spent all morning washing, blow drying and flat ironing two sets of hair. Then off to get everyone’s dresses on and head out the door. Another day passed and guess what!?! No 10,000 steps. I was beginning to get really anxious.

Now it’s Monday morning and we were up and out the door at 4:45a to catch our flight to NY that finally arrived! Yay!! I would finally make it to the gym and blast through these 10,000 steps – right?! WRONG! By the time I arrived I was exhausted and still had to work. The day was getting away from me, I was growing more and more tired and the gym seemed less and less appealing. Long story short - my pedometer stood in my purse from the security check line. No 10,000 steps!

Tuesday now rolls around and I am in the office plugging away anxiously waiting for my flight back home so I could get in some one on one time with my daughter and get back to the gym. After 5 hours in the airport and numerous delays the flight times out and we are told our flight is canceled! Déjà vu! This couldn't be happening again! All I could think of was getting back to my youngest daughter that awaited my return and hitting the gym with a vengeance.

Wednesday is now here and I am not surprised to find out that my fight is delayed yet again! One would think I could of made the most these extended airport delays by walking around the airport and racking up on stepping miles however, I had on heals and my luggage was checked in so all I could do was sit and wait.

Amidst all this chaos I learned a valuable lesson – sometimes we can create the best of plans but we never plan for our plans to fall through and once they do we are thrown off and thrown down. I woke up this morning realizing that I let life’s detours get the best of me. Instead of getting back up when all my plans fell through the cracks I sat and allowed myself to feel defeated which can easily resurface old bad habits. Granted I lost time and cannot get those days or steps back but today is a new day with a new plan and more importantly a new opportunity to get it right. So U-turn made, attitude adjusted and off to the treadmill to catch up and get it right!!!!

Failure should never and will never be an option for me!! Like Diddy and Mase said, "Can't nobody and nothing hold me down ... oh no, I got to keep on moving!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment